Tuesday 23 February 2010

Looks BLEEHHHHH tastes MMMMMMM

Back in the 80s or 90s there was an advert for the knobbly artifically flavoured and deadly moreish corn-snack Nik Naks. Two men in a cartoon discuss their virtues, making reference to their rather weird and grotesque appearance, and contrasts this with their 'explosive' flavour: "Nik Naks they look BLEEEUUUUUR! but they taste BANG!" (watch the video, you'll see what a mean)

This motto was brought to mind the other day when I did one of my favourite things: coming home to what is at first glance fairly basic food stocks but at which point the imagination starts whirring to produce a quick yet wholesome and tasty meal based on working with what we've got. Surveying the fridge I had some leftover mashed potato and some sweetcorn. Investigating the freezer for some cooked prawns and smoked mackerel I had in storage, I set about creating this fish pie.







I loosely based the fish filling on a chowder recipe I've made before and gently simmered the fish and prawns in milk until defrosted (probably not necessarily the height of food safety, but it was all cooked already and I'm still alive as I write this). I fried off an onion, added half a tin of tomatoes and a pinch of chilli flakes, then added in the milk, fish and sweetcorn and simmered together a little. A little cornflower to thicken and a touch of salt and pepper, and into the oven it went with the leftover mash on top and some grated parmesan. Hey presto, comfort food for one in only about an hour, all made from pretty much leftovers and store cupboard ingredients. Shame about the rather bizarre pink and vomity colour scheme but, like Nik Naks, it looks weird but tasted GREAT.

No comments:

Post a Comment